BuffaloGrid is on a mission to bring mobile power and internet to the next billion. We have developed a solar-powered, internet-connected system that helps organisations deliver mobile phone charging and connectivity services at scale. We’re a diverse group of designers, developers, strategists and operations specialists based across offices in London and Delhi.
BuffaloGrid is backed by the UK Government, Microsoft and some of Europe’s leading venture funds including Local Globe, ADV, Hardware Club and Seedcamp. We’re searching for people who share our vision for using technology to make the world more socially and economically equal.
We unite around our values. Read more about our values here and why they matter.
- We serve our users as they are, not as we think they should be
- Build useful things
- Clarity in design, communication and intent
- Move fast, don’t break things
- We are antidisciplinary
- Business gets things done
- Choice matters and should be available to everyone
- Life is better with the internet
We’re looking for a software engineer to join our friendly, supportive Software Engineering team. You'll be building our APIs and infrastructure that will help solve problems for millions of users operating in remote and challenging environments. This is a great opportunity to help us build and shape the service as we scale-up.
Key Responsibilities (What You Will Be Doing)
- Work within a lean process to help analyse user stories, and implement and release features.
- Contribute to Software Architecture and Design.
- Develop, test and maintain APIs for our Cloud Platform that interface with the web and our Hub hardware device.
- Design and run unit, performance and integration tests.
- Perform code reviews, and guide and mentor junior engineers.
- Collaborate with external technology partners and customers on integrations and updates
- Work within a DevOps environment to monitor and troubleshoot productions systems and customer deployments.
- Work as part of a antidisciplinary team involving Product Management, Infrastructure, Hardware Engineering, Manufacturing and Field Operations.
What We Want to See (Core Skills)
- Knowledge of using frameworks to build RESTful and Messaging APIs such as node.js.
- Development using Cloud platforms such as Azure, especially if you’ve had experience of Azure IoT or AWS IoT.
- Experience of SQL databases and languages such as such as PostgreSQL.
- Code versioning tools such as Git.
- Structured approach to software engineering.
- Ability or desire to work within a lean (Kanban) or agile process and an understanding of how this helps software development.
- Practical experience of or a desire to work with DevOps tools such as Terraform.
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience of hardware such as RPi, Arduino, whether at work or at home, is a big plus but not essential.
- Prior experience or desire to work in a fast-moving startup, working at the intersection of hardware and software.
- You should be motivated by our mission to use technology and a for-profit business model to deliver a significant impact on people’s lives at scale. This is core to our culture.
- You need to be based in London or be able to relocate to London quickly and easily.
- Competitive salary: £50,000 - £55,000
- Equity in the company through our employee share scheme
- 25 days of annual leave + national holidays
- Access to a personal development budget for training courses, books or industry events
- Access to a wellness budget to cover gym membership, meditation courses, etc
- Your choice of laptop - Windows or Mac
- Access to reduced price bicycles through the UK government Cycle to Work scheme