Senior Support Engineer (India)
BuffaloGrid is on a mission to bring mobile power and internet to the next billion. We have developed a solar-powered, internet-connected system that helps organisations deliver mobile phone charging and connectivity services at scale. We’re a diverse group of designers, developers, strategists and operations specialists based across offices in London and Delhi.
BuffaloGrid is backed by the UK Government, Microsoft and some of Europe’s leading venture funds including Local Globe, ADV, Hardware Club and Seedcamp. We’re searching for people who share our vision for using technology to make the world more socially and economically equal.
We unite around our values. Read more about our values here and why they matter.
- We serve our users as they are, not as we think they should be
- Build useful things
- Clarity in design, communication and intent
- Move fast, don’t break things
- We are antidisciplinary
- Business gets things done
- Choice matters and should be available to everyone
- Life is better with the internet
Our Technology Stack
In hardware, our stack includes technologies such as Solidworks, Altium, supported by Armbian (Linux distro), Sopine, ATMega328, 802.11n, Bluetooth and LTE. In software, our stack includes node.js, Azure, Elastic Search, Postgres, AWS Lambdas, React, HTML5, Bash and Python and we like experimenting with Golang.
The Senior Support Engineer is responsible for leading hardware troubleshooting in the India team. You will provide first-line technical support to our customers and team, getting into problems that span hardware, software and networking. You will be managing the engineering team in India with a hands-on approach to solving technical problems so that our customers can access our service with minimal interruption.
Responsibilities (What You’ll Be Doing)
- Manage the maintenance and repair process for all damaged BuffaloGrid Hubs, ensuring minimum turn-around times are met, quality is maintained, costs are kept low, waste is minimised and customers remain satisfied.
- Run hardware and software diagnostic processes on BuffaloGrid Hubs to identify problems with damaged or faulty equipment.
- Personally perform repairs on damaged BuffaloGrid Hubs by replacing damaged components and performing software updates. This will involve everything from soldering to firmware upgrades and custom circuit board assembly, or the coordination of external services.
- Act as lead technical troubleshooter for our India operations, across hardware, software and networking components.
- Act as in-country technical lead during the BuffaloGrid Hub assembly process and working as the main point of escalation to resolve issues in the production line, both when assembly is performed in-house and when performed by an external assembly partner.
- Run IT support for our India team and maintain our technical infrastructure used to support international hardware and software development work.
- Train our internal team and external customers on proper technical troubleshooting processes for the BuffaloGrid Hub, and in doing so, work to minimise the number of support cases that can be resolved without sending equipment back to our Delhi repair facility.
- Demonstrate a willingness to travel to customers locations across India and perform field testing and maintenance when real-world testing is required by our development team.
- Maintain a proper inventory of replacement components and supplies at our Delhi repair facility and ensure equipment is properly logged in and out.
- Drive safety and quality standards up across all aspects of our maintenance and technical work in our Delhi office and with our suppliers.
Core Skills (What We Want to See)
- Ability to communicate with technical staff in detail and also explain complex concepts in simple language to non-technical staff and customers.
- Ability to diagnose problem states using a wide variety of tools including multi-meter, oscilloscope, current clamps, electronic load, bench supply and other related tools.
- Working knowledge of Trello (task management), Slack (internal communication), Jira (bug tracking), ZenDesk (support ticketing) and G-Suite (productivity).
- Ability to solder and perform re-working to a high level of proficiency.
- Exposure to Raspberry Pi, Arduino, single board computers and related Linux OS tinkering.
- Strong competency with assembling electronics at both system and PCB level.
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting Wi-Fi, bluetooth and GSM networking modules.
- Understanding of power systems - batteries, solar panels, mains power - how they work and how to work safely with them.
- Experience working in an anti-static environment is an advantage.
Knowledge & Experience
- Over 5+ years relevant experience working in technology support
- Proven ability to meet the requirements of this job description.
- Prior experience working for a startup or fast moving, international technology company.
- An excellent command of international English.
- A love of building, upgrading and fixing computers will be useful.
- Additional knowledge of market trends in IoT, financial inclusion, renewable energy, mobile internet and rural development.
- Competitive salary: INR 800,000 - INR 1,000,000 annually
- 25 days of annual leave + national holidays
- Comfortable office in Defence Colony, with a flexible, relaxed working environment.
- Daily collaboration with technologists in our London Team, a great learning opportunity.
- Work for a company on a world-changing mission to affect millions of lives.
- Tackle complex challenges that have a global impact everyday.