Stratford | London | 11- 30 employees
BuffaloGrid is on a mission to bring mobile power and internet to the next billion. We have developed a solar-powered, internet-connected system that helps organisations deliver mobile phone charging and connectivity services at scale. We’re a diverse group of designers, developers, strategists and operations specialists based across offices in London and Delhi.
We are supported by a lot of innovators including UK Government, Microsoft and some of Europe’s leading venture funds. We are using technology to make the world more socially and economically equal.
We unite around our values. Read more about our values here and why they matter.
- We serve our users as they are, not as we think they should be
- Build useful things
- Clarity in design, communication and intent
- Move fast, don’t break things
- We are antidisciplinary
- Business gets things done
- Choice matters and should be available to everyone
- Life is better with the internet
We’re looking for an Android Developer to join our friendly, supportive Software Engineering team to build apps for phones and tablets that will be used by millions of users operating in remote and challenging environments.
Your day to day will include…
- Work within an agile/lean process to help analyse user stories, and implement and release features.
- Develop, test and maintain Android apps for phones and tablets that interface with the BuffaloGrid Network.
- Design and run unit, performance and integration tests.
- Collaborate with external technology partners and customers on integrations and updates.
- Implement CI pipelines for testing and app distribution.
- Work as part of an antidisciplinary team involving Product Management, Hardware Engineering, Manufacturing and Field Operations.
Skills and Experience
- Experience of Java or Kotlin and associated testing frameworks and build tools.
- Knowledge of libraries frameworks to integrate with RESTful and Messaging APIs.
- Working knowledge of the general mobile app development landscape including app architecture, trends, and emerging technologies
- Any knowledge of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi libraries and frameworks would be a big plus.
- Code versioning tools such as Git.
- Ability or desire to work within a lean (Kanban) or agile process and an understanding of how this helps software development.
- Prior experience or desire to work in a fast-moving startup, working at the intersection of hardware and software.
Benefits & Perks
🌴 25 days of annual leave + national holidays
📓 £500 Personal Development budget (Events, Online courses, IRL courses)
📚 £150 Reading Budget (Books, Audiobooks, Newspaper & Magazines)
🧘 £500 Mental and Physical Wellbeing ( Books, Newspaper Subscription, Audiobooks)
🌄 Annual Away days for a two-day break
🎢 Team Moments! Secret surprise moments throughout the year (theme park, wine tasting or axe throwing)
🚉 TFL Travel Card Load
💻 Your choice of laptop - Windows or Mac
🚲 Access to reduced price bicycles through the UK government Cycle to Work scheme