Head of Software Engineering
We are looking for a technologist-cum-manager to help direct our technology team, with experience in software team management and an interest in hardware, energy and emerging markets.
Key Responsibilities (What You Will Be Doing)
- Run, improve and scale software and hardware team processes globally, across hardware and software, focussing always on driving continuous improvements in efficiency and coordination
- Oversight and management of technology delivery, ensuring we are on-time and hitting deadlines across hardware and software functions
- Apply the best practices of SaaS and iterative development across hardware and software to ensure quality development, testing and execution
- Develop our team by recruiting, evaluating and on-boarding new hires, always working to get this best people into BuffaloGrid
- Work with existing team members to improve skills - doing right by our people, while maximising output for the company
- Enforce and improve the culture and standards of the technical teams
- Hold line management responsibility for hardware, firmware and software engineers
- Enforce operational excellence and high uptime, reviewing and challenging the technical choices and strategies of the CTO
- Directly deliver robust hands-on coding and/or devops gradually moving to review only as the team grows further
Core Skills (What We Want to See)
- Management of challenging technical projects across hardware and software, applying existing software expertise into hardware (no prior in-depth hardware skills required)
- Team leadership by example. You’ll need to be up to date and able to code in a modern web stack and one of the big cloud offerings
- Ability to balance the complex tradeoffs needed to advance the project towards the roadmap deliveries at all stages
- Coordination of diverse interdisciplinary teams including globally distributed team members
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, you should be able to talk with ease to all members of the company, and be comfortable collaborating with non-native English speakers from other cultures
- You should be a coach, trainer and mentor to technical staff, and able to get the best out of our team
- Strong Linux understanding and a deep knowledge in multiple technical software stacks (see: Our Technology Stack)
- Flexible attitude to our work, no task is too junior, no problem too complex. You should be ready and willing to muck-in in development testing or devops to move the team and company forward
Knowledge & Experience (What You Need To Have)
- Prior experience working in a technology startup or small independent development team
- Comfortable working in both Unix and Windows environments
- A clear track record as a strong software engineer
- Proven line and project management experience
- Tinkered with hardware professionally or for fun
- Competitive salary: £65,000 - £85,000 (depending on experience)
- Equity in the company through our employee share scheme
- 25 days of annual leave + national holidays
- Access to a personal development budget for training courses, books or industry events.
- Your choice of laptop - Windows of Mac - and a monster screen.
- Work for a company on a world-changing mission to affect millions of lives.
- Tackle complex challenges that have a global impact everyday.
- Be part of a collaborative international team culture - open, encouraging and fun.