BuffaloGrid is on a mission to bring mobile power and internet to the next billion. We have developed a solar-powered, internet-connected system that helps organisations deliver mobile phone charging and connectivity services at scale. We’re a diverse group of designers, developers, strategists and operations specialists based across offices in London and Delhi.
BuffaloGrid is backed by the UK Government, Microsoft and some of Europe’s leading venture funds including Local Globe, ADV, Hardware Club and Seedcamp. We’re searching for people who share our vision for using technology to make the world more socially and economically equal.
Our ValuesWe unite around our values. Read more about our values here and why they matter.
- We serve our users as they are, not as we think they should be
- Build useful things
- Clarity in design, communication and intent
- Move fast, don’t break things
- We are antidisciplinary
- Business gets things done
- Choice matters and should be available to everyone
- Life is better with the internet
Our Technology Stack
In hardware, our stack includes technologies such as Solidworks, Altium, supported by Armbian (Linux distro), Sopine, ATMega328, 802.11n, Bluetooth and LTE. In software, our stack includes node.js, Azure, Elastic Search, Postgres, AWS Lambdas, React, HTML5, Bash and Python and we like experimenting with Golang.
We're looking for a driven and experienced DevOps engineer to help build and scale our internal and live infrastructure. Help us expand our technology systems to prepare for millions of unique users operating in remote and challenging environments. You will become a key part of our technology team with a chance to build underpinning platforms powering both our Cloud and Hub platforms.
Key Responsibilities (What You Will Be Doing)
- Keep our live, test and development systems running across our clouds and device fleet, regardless of jittery or unreliable networks, common in rural areas where our users live.
- Maintain code and configuration for automated deployments, with continuous incremental deliveries
- Maintain the Devops roadmaps, solution architectures, APIs and internal operational dashboards with ever increasing uptime despite growth in features, scale and complexity
- Build and maintain reliable networking across a range of current and experimental technologies
- Support the team “buy vs build” decisions and the organisation’s wider IT operations
Core Skills (What We Want to See)
- A love of Docker, Kubernetes, AWS (or other PaaS), scripting, CI/CD and ideally embedded systems
- Deep understanding of containerization, VM and techniques for building robustness from fragile parts
- Skilled in linux tools and administration (from systemd configuration, kernel compilation to log file management)
- Expert in script based manipulation of Azure, AWS (Terraform or similar a plus).
- Automation magic via Chef, Puppet, Ansible or other frameworks
- Strength in communicate via code, scripts, documents and in person with your colleagues, partners and customers in a clear, concise and timely manner
- An approach to work that is independent, creative and collaborative
- You can build and configure dashboards, gather and parse logfiles or no logs needed because of streaming events
- You configure, choose and develop with technologies across many of Papertrail, NGinx, 2/3/4G GSM networks, SSH, HTTPS handshakes, Serverless, NoSQL and SQL equality, G-Suite and scripting in all forms (Bash or perhaps Powershell),
- You’ll proactively want to share accountability for all of the software stack and production systems
- You can setup up SSH tunnels, reverse tunnels, VPNs or equivalent care about data security, uptime, distributed resilience from fragile components
- Git-fu always appreciated
Knowledge & Experience
- Experienced in at least one major cloud environments you can apply technologies you know to solve problems and know when to learn new techniques to deliver results
- You’ll have gained deep experience Linux and can handle other OSs
- A period steeped in CI/CD and practical application of agile devops techniques.
- We like people that play and tinker with hardware RPi, arduino, whether at work or at home. So experimentation with hardware side projects is a big plus, but not essential.
- Prior experience working in a fast-moving startup, preferably working at the intersection of hardware and software.
- You should be motivated by our mission to use technology and a for-profit business model to deliver a significant impact on people’s lives at scale. This is core to our culture.
- You need to be based in London or be able to relocate to London quickly and easily
- Salary: £45,000 - £50,000
- Equity in the company through our employee share scheme
- 25 days of annual leave + national holidays
- Access to a personal development budget for training courses, books or industry events
- Your choice of laptop - Windows or Mac
- Access to reduced price bicycles through the UK government Cycle to Work scheme
- Contribution to a gym membership or similar fitness-related subscription