Head of Manufacturing & Production
Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, you will lead BuffaloGrid’s manufacturing operations (production and engineering), ensuring we can meet today’s customer demands and tomorrow’s innovations efficiently and sustainably.
- Provide strategic direction and long-term development support as well as day-to-day leadership of the manufacturing and operations team.
- Nurture and develop our agile approach to manufacturing allowing BuffaloGrid to continue to evolve and scale rapidly whilst finding innovative solutions to improve performance and resilience of our mass production processes.
- Establish and develop long-term relationships with suppliers and solution providers needed to ensure BuffaloGrid’s manufacturing operations set the standard for quality, cost, service and sustainability in a fast growing off-grid power industry.
- Lead execution of product delivery - this will be batch production in larger order quantities.
- Lead logistics strategy and our relationships with logistics providers, ensuring the delivery of inbound materials and outbound products.
- Ensure our quality assurance and safety guidelines are in place and managed.
Core Skills (What We Want to See)
- A smart, dynamic thinker ideally with a degree in Engineering / Manufacturing or related field.
- Open to change and new ideas, and with evidence of fast progress in your career and/or experience of a variety of leadership positions.
- Experience in end-to-end supply chain management within an electronics environment or a tech startup.
- Proven track record of leadership, setting clear and compelling direction and recruiting, establishing and developing a high performing team to deliver it.
- A self-starter able to structure their own work and to set and drive the direction and priorities for BuffaloGrid’s manufacturing operations.
- Ability to balance day-to-day operational excellence with long term progress; concurrently willing to take direction and fit in with the overall BuffaloGrid road-map.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to make engineering issues and decisions readily understandable to non-technical colleagues.
- A love of and track-record of success in, managing and developing high potential team members.
- Ideally experienced in lean manufacturing principles and project management
- Happy to travel to the Far East to oversee the execution of batch production.
Knowledge & Experience (What You Need to Have)
- Prior experience leading (or supporting a leader) in the manufacturing function of a hardware technology start-up or hardware company, ideally working in energy or working with a product with a significant lithium-ion battery.
- Demonstrable experience successfully leading strategy for supplier management; streamlining supplier base, reducing costs and improving quality
An ideal candidate would have experience:
- taking products through international standards and certifications.
- reducing overall bill of materials specially in Printed Circuit Boards
- working with overseas suppliers, preferably in the Far East.
- Competitive salary: £45,000 - £55,000 (depending on experience)
- Equity in the company through our employee share scheme.
- Manufacturing is truly a pivotal department within BuffaloGrid. This role has both the potential and the need to have high impact on the business both immediately and in the long-term.
- Work for a company on a world-changing mission to affect millions of lives.
- Tackle complex challenges that have a global impact everyday.
- Be part of a collaborative team culture - open, encouraging, design-centric and fun.