BuffaloGrid is on a mission to bring mobile power and internet to the next billion. We have developed a solar-powered, internet-connected system that helps organisations deliver mobile phone charging and connectivity services at scale. We’re a diverse group of designers, developers, strategists and operations specialists based across offices in London and Delhi.
BuffaloGrid is backed by the UK Government, Microsoft and some of Europe’s leading venture funds including Local Globe, ADV, Hardware Club and Seedcamp. We’re searching for people who share our vision for using technology to make the world more socially and economically equal.
We unite around our values. Read more about our values here and why they matter.
- We serve our users as they are, not as we think they should be
- Build useful things
- Clarity in design, communication and intent
- Move fast, don’t break things
- We are antidisciplinary
- Business gets things done
- Choice matters and should be available to everyone
- Life is better with the internet
Our Technology Stack
In hardware, our stack includes technologies such as Solidworks, Altium, supported by Armbian (Linux distro), Sopine, ATMega328, 802.11n, Bluetooth and LTE.
In software, our stack includes node.js, Azure, Elastic Search, Postgres, AWS Lambdas, React, HTML5, Bash and Python and we like experimenting with Golang.
We’re looking for an experienced full-stack developer to become a key part of our technology team. You’ll be responsible for developing and scaling our software infrastructure, working closely with our CTO and Head of Software to build features, solve problems and develop future versions of our product.
You’ll be an expert in a few technologies but be ready to skill up at any level in the stack. From HTML and SaSS/Less, Angular/Express, through SQL and NoSQL on AWS and Azure, down to Linux OS, embedded controllers and beyond.
Key Responsibilities (What You Will Be Doing)
- Develop and maintain effective and robust code and APIs across our technology platform
- Design and run performance and stability tests across all levels of our system
- Collaborate with our design team to develop and implement a user interface that is text-light and artfully simple
- Work in rapid development cycles for releases across Cloud, Firmware, Hub and Infrastructure builds
- Perform code reviews for other members of the Technology Team and guide junior members on best practices and new techniques.
- Manage your workflow (in Trello) and carefully update internal documentation and our Wiki using language that can be understood across all levels of our hardware and software team
- Collaborate with external technology partners and customers on integrations and updates
- Contribute to our choice of technologies and the design of technical solutions
- Troubleshoot everything from individual issues to systemic flaws across software and hardware
- Perform technical support for our trials, pilots and live customer deployments
Core Skills (What We Want to See)
- Good existing knowledge of code versioning tools such as Git
- Development experience for both mobile (Android preferably) and desktop
- Desire to use your technical problem solving skills to seek elegant solutions to complex problems
- Ability to communicate with your colleagues, partners and our customers in a clear, concise and punctual manner, and in a way that is both informative and constructive
- You are comfortable working both independently and collaboratively. We like people that have a team orientation; people that know how to integrate their work with their team.
Knowledge & Experience
- A period steeped in CI/CD and practical application of agile techniques.
- We like people that play and tinker with hardware RPi, arduino, whether at work or at home. So experimentation with hardware side projects is a big plus, but not essential.
- Prior experience working in a fast-moving startup, preferably working at the intersection of hardware and software.
- You should be motivated by our mission to use technology and a for-profit business model to deliver a significant impact on people’s lives at scale. This is core to our culture.
- You need to be based in London or be able to relocate to London quickly and easily.
- Salary: £45,000 - £55,000
- Equity in the company through our employee share scheme
- 25 days of annual leave + national holidays
- Access to a personal development budget for training courses, books or industry events
- Your choice of laptop - Windows or Mac
- Access to reduced price bicycles through the UK government Cycle to Work scheme
- Contribution to a gym membership or similar fitness-related subscription