A key hire in our Technology team you’ll be responsible for building and operating the software infrastructure enabling us to scale to improve access to mobile power to change the lives of millions of customers.
From HTML and SaSS/Less, Angular/Express, through SQL and NoSQL on AWS and Azure down to the Linux OS and beyond to embedded controllers. You’ll be expert in a few technologies and be ready to skill up at any level in the stack.
Key Responsibilities (What You Will Be Doing)
- Develop and maintain effective and robust code and APIs across the BuffaloGrid Cloud and our BuffaloGrid Hubs.
- Design and run tests for all levels of our system, including unit tests, system integration tests and tests for both performance and stability.
- Take a customer-centric view to building our UIs to give a technologically enabled quality user experience.
- Work in rapid, development cycles with continuous releases across Cloud, Firmware, Hub and Infrastructure builds and daily code pushes to production.
- Perform code review for other members of the Technology Team and guide junior members on best practices and new techniques.
- Manage your workflow (in Trello) and carefully update internal documentation (in our Wiki and other documents), using clear language that can be understood across our global technology team.
- Collaborate with external technology partners and customers, ensuring integrations are created in-line with needs of our internal needs and external requirements.
- Contribute to our choice of technologies and and the design of technical solutions, always balancing the tradeoffs involved in immediate delivery and progress towards the BuffaloGrid long term vision.
- Validate and enhance the team’s work by constantly keeping current and next generation devices and supporting internal systems in optimal operational form, troubleshooting issues from individual issues to systemic flaws as needed.
- Provide technical support for our trials, pilots and live customer deployments, approaching your work with a customer-centric view.
Core Skills (What We Want to See)
- You should be a technically skilled problem solver that seeks elegant solutions to complex problems.
- A relentless focus on shipping code, you are someone that delivers what our business needs, building momentum as you go. We like people that learn by doing.
- You make decisions using critical thinking, experience and evidence-based research.
- You take responsibility and share accountability for all of the software stack and understand the inherent, deep connection our system has with hardware.
- Ability to communicate with your colleagues, partners and our customers in a clear, concise and punctual manner, and in a way that is both informative and constructive.
- You are comfortable working both independently and collaboratively. We like people that have a team orientation; people that know how to integrate their work with their team.
Knowledge & Experience
- Prior experience working in a fast-moving startup, preferably working at the intersection of hardware and software.
- You should be motivated by our mission to use technology and a for-profit business model to deliver a significant impact on people’s lives at scale. This is core to our culture.
- Steeped in CI/CD and practical application of agile techniques.
- We like people that play and tinker with hardware RPi, arduino, whether at work or at home. So experimentation with hardware side projects is a big plus.
Our Technology Stack
In hardware, our stack includes technologies such as Kicad, Node.js, Armbian (Linux distro), Sopine, ATMega328, 802.11n, Bluetooth and LTE.
In software, our stack includes node.js, Azure, Elastic Search, Postgres, AWS Lambdas, React, HTML5, Bash and Python and we like experimenting with Golang.
- Competitive salary: £45,000 - £60,000 (Junior to Senior - depending on experience)
- Equity in the company through our employee share scheme
- 25 days of annual leave + national holidays
- Access to a personal development budget for training courses, books or industry events
- Your choice of laptop - Windows or Mac.
- Work for a company on a world-changing mission to affect millions of lives
- Tackle complex challenges that have a global impact everyday
- Be part of a collaborative international team culture - open, encouraging and fun