BuffaloGrid is on a mission to bring mobile power and internet to the next billion. We have developed a solar-powered, internet-connected system that helps organisations deliver mobile phone charging and connectivity services at scale. We’re a diverse group of designers, developers, strategists and operations specialists based across offices in London and Delhi.
BuffaloGrid is backed by the UK Government, Microsoft and some of Europe’s leading venture funds including Local Globe, ADV, Hardware Club and Seedcamp. We’re searching for people who share our vision for using technology to make the world more socially and economically equal.
We unite around our values. Read more about our values here and why they matter.
- We serve our users as they are, not as we think they should be
- Build useful things
- Clarity in design, communication and intent
- Move fast, don’t break things
- We are antidisciplinary
- Business gets things done
- Choice matters and should be available to everyone
- Life is better with the internet
We are looking for a creative, detailed-orientated mechanical engineer to join the antidisciplinary, mission-driven team in our London office for six months or more. As the only mechanical engineer in our fast growing team, you will shape the design and future direction of our hardware products.
Key Responsibilities (What You Do)
- Own the development, release, and revision of 3D ECAD/MCAD models and drawings utilising SolidWorks and Altium Designer.
- Support engineering design and development throughout the product development life-cycle, ensuring the needs of our customers are captured from concept to production
- Support engineering feasibility studies, prototyping activities, and technology research activities, ensuring BuffaloGrid incorporates the best solution to meet our customer’s needs
- Support design failure mode effect analysis (DFMEA), always aiming to reduce the risk of failure in our product
- Support the adoption and day to day use of engineering best practices such as requirements engineering, quality function development (house of quality), and design for manufacturing and assembly (DMFA)
- Develop product cost estimates in collaboration Manufacturing Engineering, helping BuffaloGrid develop lean and cost effective products and solutions
- Be confident to challenge the status quo, develop new ideas, and propose better ways of working. We are trying to help people by solving complex and evolving problems, it takes a team of thinkers and doers to make it happen
Core Skills (What You Need to Do It)
- Proficient in the use of SolidWorks and Altium Designer and the development of high quality ECAD and MCAD models and engineering drawings
- Comfortable using engineering change management tools to create change requests, orders, and notifications as well as the general use of a problem reporting system
- Ability to interpret and apply detailed technical compliance standards and legislation
- A strong understanding of the standard product development lifecycle and stage-gate approvals
- Proficient in DFMA methodologies, DFMEA, and QFD (house of quality)
- Comfortable in the day to day use of product lifecycle management (PLM) software
- Proficient in developing product cost estimates
- Competitive salary: £35,000 - £40,000
- 25 days of annual leave + national holidays
- Access to a personal development budget for training courses, books or industry events
- Your choice of laptop - Windows or Mac
- Access to reduced price bicycles through the UK government Cycle to Work scheme
- Contribution to a gym membership or wellness subscription