UI & UX Designer (Web, App & Hub)
BuffaloGrid is on a mission to bring mobile power and internet to the next billion. We have developed a solar-powered, internet-connected system that helps organisations deliver mobile phone charging and connectivity services at scale. We’re a diverse group of designers, developers, strategists and operations specialists based across offices in London and Delhi.
BuffaloGrid is backed by the UK Government, Microsoft and some of Europe’s leading venture funds including Local Globe, ADV, Hardware Club and Seedcamp. We’re searching for people who share our vision for using technology to make the world more socially and economically equal.
We unite around our values. Read more about our values here and why they matter.
- We serve our users as they are, not as we think they should be
- Build useful things
- Clarity in design, communication and intent
- Move fast, don’t break things
- We are antidisciplinary
- Business gets things done
- Choice matters and should be available to everyone
- Life is better with the internet
We’re looking for an excellent, user-obsessed digital designer to join the antidisciplinary, mission-driven team in our London office. This is a great opportunity to be the first digital designer in our business, allowing you broad scope and deep ownership of the digital elements of our product.
Key Responsibilities (What You Will Be Doing)
- Own the software user experience design process across Cloud, App and Hub, from idea, through to flow design and implementation.
- Design and deliver an efficient, simple and text-light user interface across our Cloud platform, App and Hub touchscreen in villages. You’ll be designing enterprise BI analytics for our customers, growth-led motivational screens for our agents and attractive interaction points for our (often illiterate) users.
- Prototype early and often, working from rough interactions and interfaces to provide form to ideas.
- Test your designs with our users, agents and customers, extracting insights and adapting the user interface and experience in response.
- Create artwork, iconography and interface elements for our Hub, Cloud, App and website.
- Take a view on all visual and graphic design work across Hub screen, Cloud platform, agent App, website and brand assets.
Core Skills (What We Want to See)
- Think and design at the system level, knitting together the total UX across our web, mobile and Hub screen.
- An anti-disciplinary extreme collaborator, you’ll work side-by-side with our Product Manager and Full-Stack Developers to get your work into code fast and often.
- You will love working with new design tools such as Sketch, Figma and Zeplin, as well as knowledge of rapid prototyping software like Animate, Framer and Marvel.
- You will be familiar and comfortable with agile and lean development principles.
- You are an expert at wireframing and prototyping, confident in this critical stage of the design process.
- Our users are mobile-first, and so are you. We’re looking for skills in app design (preferably Android) and mobile web.
Knowledge & Experience
- Prior experience designing digital products and services on web and mobile, with agency-side experience being a bonus.
- Proven experience bringing digital designs from idea to implementation, with evidence of an ability to work as the sole digital designer within a multidisciplinary team.
- You are comfortable working in a fast-moving startup at the intersection of hardware and software, alongside, technologists, strategists and product managers, operating with flexibility and adaptability under pressure.
- It’s highly desirable to have some experience taking your work from idea through to code and launch yourself, with no support. That means you would have proven skills in HTML/CSS.
- You should be motivated by our mission to use technology and a for-profit business model to deliver a significant impact on people’s lives at scale. This is core to our culture.
- Willingness to travel to North India, meet and work with our customers, users and agents in person on the ground.
- Competitive salary: £40,000 - £45,000
- Equity in the company through our employee share scheme
- 25 days of annual leave + national holidays
- Access to a personal development budget for training courses, books or industry events
- Your choice of laptop - Windows or Mac
- Access to reduced price bicycles through the UK government Cycle to Work scheme
- Contribution to a gym membership or similar fitness-related subscription